An old proverb says – “First impressions are the most lasting.” In the world of web design, this is an unspoken rule that lies in the heart of the industry. A study by Taylor&Francis revealed that it only takes 50 milliseconds (0.05 seconds) for a person to form an opinion of a web homepage. This means your website has only 50 milliseconds to make a good impression. Another piece of research by GO Globe Website Design Hong Kong showed that 94% of website users first impressions are design-related and 75% of users make judgments on a company’s credibility based on its website design.
A website is the face of your business. If it doesn’t send the right message, the chances of people going back and working with you decrease dramatically. You only get one opportunity to impress potential customers and make your business stand out.
Here are a few tips on how to elevate your website to a new level in 2019!
Make your design Immersive and Unique
Web design is all about experience and storytelling. The more it engages and attracts visitors, the higher the chances of them becoming potential clients. Here’s what you can do to take your visitors on a journey:
- Replace simple infographics with long-form multimedia
- Use different visual and audio elements
- Incorporate shadows to create depth in your designs and establish a visual hierarchy between certain positions.
- Illustrate with minimal shots to help draw users’ attention to your product.
- Use animation, Gifs, cinegraphs and micro-interactions to bring your webpage to life
- Don’t be afraid to use vibrant colours and bold typography
Remember your website is the reflection of your brand, so everything about it has to be interlaced with the brand’s essence.
Use video elements
A study by Cisco predicts that video will make up 82% of all internet traffic in 2021. This only proves the fact that more and more people prefer to watch than to read. Yes, video production is expensive, especially if you want to make it right, but investing in a few good quality videos can really help your business stand out from the rest. No matter what your company is selling, a video can help you showcase it in a simple and engaging way. Videos are also SEO’s new best friend and really up your chances of getting that first page Google ranking! Also, statistics show that 85% of buyers are more likely to purchase a product after watching its demo.
Don’t overdo it
With so many instruments to use, you should always remember that less is more. Clean, multipurpose versatile designs have proven to be the stars of the industry. Design your website around the interests of your customers and not your company’s structure. Remember that decisions are mostly made based on emotional responses than on analytical data. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Keep your content short and focused
- Focus on 1 call to action per page
- Step away from specialist knowledge and use simple language
- Get rid of visual clutter. Don’t overweigh your page with images and text.
- Use animation and images to save space and reduce the unneeded text
- Use negative space to highlight things that require the most attention
- Make your icons mono-colour or use outline with whitespace, to make them easier to read and less heavy on the eye
To summarise the above, your website has to tell the story of your brand and send out a clear message to the viewer. Using modern tools in your web design can easily help you to increase the interest in your brand and leave a memorable impression on your website visitor. After all, it is a proven fact that people remember 80% of what they see and only 20% of what they read!
QoboWeb takes pride in designing websites that answer to all modern standards. We build aesthetically enticing websites to match your vision and promote your brand to significantly differentiate you from your competition. We design class-leading, fully functional, mobile-friendly websites that can also be integrated with live chat engines, social media channels, bulk mail tools, news tickers and a plethora of other applications.
Author: Nadia Ivanova, PR & Digital Marketing Manager at Qobo Group Ltd